A Rough Guide to Surviving The Unsurvivable
1) If you live with monsters, you’ll become monstrous. This can be good and it can be bad. You need to keep your perspective and know when it’s time to quit a bad scene.
2) Learn the difference between honesty and being a dick.
3) Once you stop looking for identity, you start to die.
4) Don’t sabotage yourself. There are enough people out there who’ll do it for you. Don’t let the assholes win.
5) Read more than you drink.
6) When you feel the Big Motherfuckin’ Sad coming on, scream as loudly as you possibly can. It’s good medicine.
7) Remember: If someone is talking shit about someone else to you, they probably talk shit about you too. If they’re doing it on the Internet, they’re probably someone you don’t want to be friends with. Know a vendetta when you see one. Shit-talkers are like black mold: They’ll infect you and you might not even know it. you don’t need that darkness in your life. Bitterness will jump from you to them.
—Adam Gnade from The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Fighting The Big Motherfuckin’ Sad book (via wearepioneerspress)